Friday, April 3, 2009

"I think it is good that books still exist, but they make me sleepy." -Frank Zappa

my current stack

I love to read, but in the short time that I've been doing this blog I have been spending more time on the computer and less time reading.  Books that I have requested at the library are coming in and starting to pile up beside my bed and this makes me feel stressed and guilty.  I don't want the books to think I don't like them!  I do.  I've just been lured away by the siren song of the information super-highway.  Hopefully the novelty will wear off quickly. 
It's kind of my goal, or my average, to read four books a month, and last month I just scraped by with three.  And I have a couple of thick ones waiting, so this month will be even harder.  Honestly, I am that much of a geek that I keep track of the books that I read.  I do find it useful to keep a list though, because if I want to recommend a book, or remember where I read something, I can look it up.  Also, I like to look back at what I've read, because I tend to get into ruts, usually reading mostly fiction by mostly women.  Then I'll make an effort to read more non-fiction and more books written by men.
Recently CBC Radio did their annual Canada Reads debate, where five notable Canadians each pick a book, then pitch it as the book everyone should read.  I made a point of reading them all before the debate and it was interesting to listen to, especially to hear people lobbying for books I really disliked.  The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill won, and I loved that book, but I also loved the book that came in second, The Outlander by Gil Adamson.

I really disliked two of the books, but I find it really difficult not to finish reading a book that I start, even if I know within the first dozen pages that I'm not going to enjoy it.  For some reason I can't just abandon it.  I feel like maybe there's something to be learned from the experience of disliking a book.  Isn't that dumb?

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean... It's way harder to abandon a book than a movie. However, I was once in my sister's car during a road trip and I found a romance novel tucked in the back flap of one of the seats. After about 2 pages I realised that those books are the ones made to be abandoned. Or, I suppose, read while masturbating and eating cheetos? I'm not sure. I've just grossed myself out. Sorry to do it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete