Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Tattoo

This is my very favorite tattoo.   It's not on me, it's on Karl, my husband.  I don't have any tattoos; just could never think of anything I could really commit to liking forever, until I got married I guess.  The story of the tattoo fits into that, I guess.  

When we got married almost three years ago, Karl got me a ring and I got him one.  I wear mine all the time, he never wears his.  It's no surprise.  He's allergic to most metals and works with his hands all day so it's not really safe.  The ring was just symbolic for the ceremony, and he does wear it once and a while, until his  finger gets itchy.  We always said we would find a way for him to have a ring and he thought it might end up being some kind of tattoo "ring".  It was hard to think of something appropriate though.

This fall we went on our belated honeymoon to Europe, and when we were in Prague we visited the Alfons Mucha Museum.  He's one of my favorite artists: all those beautiful Art Nouveau women.  Karl noticed a motif on one of Mucha's posters for the Salon des Cent and knew right away that it would look great as a tattoo.  When we read the explanation it was obviously perfect.  The three interlocking rings symbolize the complex nature of love, and they are made up of the blossoms, the thorns, and the fruit.



As soon as we got back from our trip we found a copy of the image and Karl made an appointment at Craftsman Tattoos on Pender Street.  I have to admit, I was a little sceptical.  The forearm is pretty, well, fore.  And it would have to be big to get the detail.  And I've see so many bad tattoos.  But it turned out awesome!  I love it so much, and I love that Karl tells the whole story when anyone comments on it.  It's so well done, too.  He says that of all his tattoos, this hurt the least, healed the best, and that this guy was so skilled it felt like the time flew by.  
It's the ultimate wedding ring, in my opinion.

1 comment: