Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vice Squad

I dated a guy briefly, long ago, and he had a female friend who decided after meeting me a couple of times that I was quite a goody-twoshoes.  I didn't smoke, I turned down a drink (only because I was driving), and, to her horror, I admitted that I didn't drink coffee.  With one eyebrow raised, she said snarkily "Oh, I guess your only vices are sex and sunshine."  I decided not to mention that I was wearing SPF 45...

But I do have vices.  I'm a big fan of the Seven Deadly.  Lust, yup.  Sloth, totally.  Gluttony. that might be my favorite.  For dinner the other night we had spinach dip.  A whole bowl, with bread.  That's it.  I often eat things I love to the point of discomfort.  

Another favorite vice is bad TV.  I mean really bad.  Rock of Love, Celebrity Rehab bad.  Karl thinks I'm braindead to watch those shows, but I get sucked in.  It's so bad, it's not just good, it's addictive.  Bad movies on TV too; it's pretty hard for me not to watch, oh, Save the Last Dance or something.  I think that urge goes hand in hand with sloth - such an easy way to waste a Sunday afternoon.

Do you guys think shopping is a vice?  Lately I'm feeling a little guilty about the quantity and frequency.  It's mostly second hand, so it's not expensive, but I feel so much better if I have something new to work with in the upcoming week.  I think I'd feel less guilty if I had a bigger closet.  There's just something about ramming another hanger into our minuscule closet that makes me a little ashamed.  Karl's not without sin in that department, so at least I'm not completely taking over.

There, I've shared some of my vices.  What are yours?

5 comments:

  1. Yep, I've decided if it's second hand it's ok. As in, the more I can squeeze in (or just leave in a pile) the better the world is going to be. That's what I tell myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel proud of myself when I hang something new, but guilty if it cost more that $30.00. I also spend too many full days drinking coffee in my pajamas (is that a vice?), and you know I am addicted to the sweets. I also have a problem binging on magazines. I will just buy them for the glossy cover, sometimes never even read them and I will buy another and another. I can't seem to get enough. Oh and I eat too many muffins. I could eat a muffin for every meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dessert. Pretty much any kind, I will finish it even if its sickly sweetness is making me feel nausea. I'm actually eating a chocolate mint brownie all melty from the sun right now. Its divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. where'd I be without my maryjane? And I guess that goes hand in hand with the donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SLOTH! I enjoy my lazy days! And pride maybe? I like feeling good/looking good, is that pride? Spending hours on my hair and makeup? Ummm, definitely gluttony but I'm more into salty snacks. Hint of lime chips. Anger- Yep, I'm an irritable bitch. Pretty much all of them.

    ReplyDelete