Friday, August 6, 2010

Smitty Patrol

Although I only had a Sassy magazine subscription for a few too-short years, I'm amazed by how much of it stuck with me. They had a term (of endearment) for a person who was picky about grammar, usage, spelling, punctuation - all of those lost arts. A smitty. I'm one, and that's still the word I think of when I notice a crime against language. Sassy had a little spread featuring example taken from posters in store windows. "Fresh" fruits, etc.

Today I came across a link to Rachel Zoe's use and abuse of the word "literally". It's one of my pet peeves, and it feels like I figuratively hear someone misusing it a million times a day. "That literally blew my mind." Ouch. But check out the clip; it makes me think she has kind of a verbal tick. And a low IQ.

1 comment:

  1. I literally do that all the time. Literally. It makes me wonder if you literally hate me behind my back. haaaaaaaaahahahahahaa jusssst kidding!

    ReplyDelete