Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Of Note?

I'm a week late in posting this. For one thing I've been a bit of a lazy blogger, but I wasn't sure if it was really newsworthy. Well, it was in a newspaper, so I guess it was. I'm just not big on blowing my own horn, and it's not a big deal, but I was one of the "up-and-coming designers" featured in the Vancouver Sun last week. I wish that they had posted the photo of me with the online article that they ran in the paper, because it was actually a really nice photo taken by a totally talented photographer named David Lang.

So here's the story - I'm kinda half-way down. And Manuel was fairly heavily medicated when he gave them a quote:
http://www.vancouversun.com/life/comers+watch+Vancouver/3692294/story.html

This article got me thinking about how funny it is that fashion designer is interesting to people in a way that other professions aren't. When you think about celebrities, obviously you think entertainers - singer, athletes, actors etc. And who else gets profiled in the paper? Politicians, artists, chefs... it's kind of strange to me that designers have slipped in under that fine line of who we care about. You never see a profile of up-and-coming dentists or accountants or bus drivers. Aren't all of those, objectively, more crucial to most peoples daily life? Anyone got any theories?

No comments:

Post a Comment